North Carolina is among the top 10 states for reports of human trafficking cases in 2016. This is largely due to the number of major interstates that cross through the state, the large agricultural population, tourist industry, rural areas, and high rates of poverty and substance use disorders.
Historically, the needs of this population have been unmet in this area. A lack of public knowledge about human trafficking and limited resources and services for survivors ultimately results in an increased prevalence of human trafficking. This, therefore, underscores the urgency for implementation of Project WEST NC.
Project WEST NC Mission:
Project WEST NC is working to bring awareness to the hidden issue of trafficking in Western North Carolina and confront its underlying causes. Through the project, Our VOICE is providing services to survivors of trafficking as well as training to local service providers and community members in Buncombe, Henderson, Madison, McDowell, Transylvania, and Yancey counties.
Connection to Our VOICE’s mission and vision
At Our VOICE we see how rape and rape culture affects our community and we recognize how both are at the core of human trafficking. Until people have the right to their own body, trafficking will continue to flourish.
Project WEST NC is working to:
- Provide services and support to survivors through our 24 hour crisis line, case management, and counseling
- Raise awareness through outreach and education
- Assist survivors through our Rapid Response Team
- Address underlying causes through our Anti-Human Trafficking Taskforce
If your agency is interested in receiving training on human trafficking please call Our VOICE business line at (828) 252-0562.
If you come into contact with a person who has been trafficked or you suspect has been trafficked, please call or connect them to Our VOICE’s 24 hour crisis line at (828) 255-7576.
What you can do:
- Connect survivors to Our VOICE through our crisis line at (828) 255-7576
- Call in tips to the National Human Trafficking Hotline at 1 (888) 373-7888
- Donate to support Our VOICE’s programs and other anti-human trafficking organizations
- Volunteer as a crisis line advocate
- Attend a training on identifying and responding to trafficking survivors
- Host a backpack building event to provide trafficking survivors with emergency supplies
For more information please visit:
Project WEST NC is funded in part by Project NO REST, Women for Women, and donors like you.