LGBTQ+ Populations and Sexual Violence
Many survivors identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or queer (LGBTQ). Unfortunately, the LGBTQ community experiences sexual violence at high rates. One study found that 13.2% of bisexual men and 11.6% of gay men were raped in adulthood, compared to 1.6% of heterosexual men. According to the CDC, 46% of bisexual women have been raped, compared to 13% of lesbians and 17% of heterosexual women. Another study found that more than 40% of transgender individuals had been sexually assaulted after the age of 13.
Here at Our Voice we believe that everyone should have access to prevention and healing services and we strive to overcome some of the barriers that people who identify as LGBTQ face in seeking these services.
At Our Voice:
• We recognize that people who identify as LGBTQ experience higher rates of sexual violence than cisgender and heterosexual populations.
• We also recognize that LGBTQ individuals often experience sexual violence as a hate motivated crime.
• We acknowledge and understand the barriers faced by LGBTQ people in the helping sector (medical, legal, law enforcement, mental health etc.)
• We provide confidentiality, respecting individuals’ rights to privacy in relation to gender identity and sexual orientation.
• We are 100% victim centered. One of our core beliefs is that people who experience sexual violence are not to blame.
• Our intake and counseling forms reflect our understanding of gender identity and you will be treated with respect by all of our staff.
• You will not be refused services based on your gender identity or sexual orientation.
• All of our services are free of charge.
• We will assist you getting connected to other services that are also LGBTQ friendly.
LGBTQ resource guide:
The Trevor Project
Love is Respect
Not AloneNational Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs
Hotlines (Local and National):
Our Voice 24 hour crisis line: (828)255-7576
GLNH (GLBT National Help Center): 1-888-843-4564
National Domestic Violence Helpline: 1-800-799-7233
National Gay and Lesbian Youth Hotline: 1-800-347-TEEN
GLBT Youth Support line: 1-800-850-8078
The Trevor Project Helpline: 1-866-4-U-TREVOR
Rainbow Youth Hotline: 1-877-LGBT-YTH