Bar Outreach was a wonderful success!!! All but one of the 50 bars we visited let us put fliers in bathroom stalls or near bathrooms. Almost all of the drinking establishments knew who we were and what we were up to when they saw the tear off flyers. Many people were grateful to see us and told us they always try to keep an eye on their patrons.
We understand that it may be hard for a busy bartender to watch everything which is a part of the reason we provide the fliers. We hope to prompt bystander intervention amongst bar-goers. It’s easier on everyone if we are all looking out for ourselves and each other. Through community accountability we can combat Drug and Alcohol Facilitated Sexual Assault.
Rape is ONLY the fault of the perpetrator but there are steps you can take that could reduce your chances of being victimized:
- Communicate assertively and clearly.
- Expect respect and avoid those who do not show it.
- Know your own sexual limits and communicate them clearly.
- Do not allow a person to touch you if it makes you uncomfortable.
- Avoid excessive drinking or drugs as they impair judgement and communication skills.
- Don’t leave drinks unattended. This may provide an opportunity for someone to drug you.
- Do not assume someone else knows what you are thinking or shares your values.
- Try to avoid situations or locations which keep you isolated from others.
- Make a scene if it becomes necessary. Don’t worry about looking foolish! Your voice is the most powerful tool you can use.
- Trust your instincts – they seldom fail you.