We Fully Support our Entire Gender Non-Conforming Community
LGBTQ+ Communities and Sexual Violence
Many survivors identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or queer (LGBTQ). Unfortunately, the LGBTQ community experiences sexual violence at high rates. One study found that 13.2% of bisexual men and 11.6% of gay men were raped in adulthood, compared to 1.6% of heterosexual men. According to the CDC, 46% of bisexual women have been raped, compared to 13% of lesbians and 17% of heterosexual women. Another study found that more than 40% of transgender individuals had been sexually assaulted after the age of 13. (attributions below)
At Our VOICE:
• We recognize that people who identify as LGBTQIA+ experience higher rates of sexual violence than cisgender and heterosexual populations.
• We recognize that LGBTQIA+ individuals often experience sexual violence as a hate motivated crime.
• We acknowledge and understand the barriers faced by LGBTQIA+ people in the helping sector (medical, legal, law enforcement, mental health etc.)
• We provide confidentiality, respecting individuals’ rights to privacy in relation to gender identity and sexual orientation.
• We are 100% victim centered and believe that people who experience sexual violence are not to blame.
• Our intake and counseling forms validate gender identity and we are open to feedback.
• You will not be refused services based on your gender identity or sexual orientation.
• We will assist you getting connected to other services that are also LGBTQIA+ competent and validating.
The Trevor Project
Love is Respect
Not AloneNational Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs
Local and National Hotlines:
Our VOICE24-hour hotline: (828)255-7576
GLNH (National Help Center): 1-888-843-4564
National Domestic Violence Helpline: 1-800-799-7233
National Gay and Lesbian Youth Hotline: 1-800-347-TEEN
GLBT Youth Support line: 1-800-850-8078
The Trevor Project Helpline: 1-866-4-U-TREVOR
Rainbow Youth Hotline: 1-877-LGBT-YTH