Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Who do we serve?
Victims of sexual assault and their families, who are residents of Buncombe County, ages 13 and up. However, anyone under age 18 will need parental or guardian permission to receive counseling services.

We provide services to all victims of sexual violence regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status of citizenship, or income level.

Q: Do you serve men?
Yes. We serve all genders.

Q: Are services available only in English?
No, we have 4 bilingual Spanish speaking staff at Our VOICE. We provide counseling, court and law enforcement advocacy, and crisis intervention in Spanish. We are also available to do outreach to Spanish-speaking populations.

Q: Do you provide services to victims of domestic violence?
While we understand that domestic and sexual violence can co-occur, our services focus on issues of sexual violence. If you are experiencing domestic violence please contact Helpmate at (828) 254-0516.

Q: How much do our services cost?
We provide client services, such as law enforcement and court advocacy, at no cost to the client. We do ask for a one-time $20 administrative fee for counseling if you are able to provide it. No one will be turned away due to inability to pay.

Q: Can a counselor come to me or do a session over the phone?
No, the counselors only hold sessions at the Our VOICE office. However, we do have bus passes for the ART bus system or can work with you to help you find transportation.

Q: Can Our VOICE prescribe medication or provide medical services?
Our VOICE is available to speak with you about potential medical treatment options but we do not provide medical care ourselves. Our VOICE counselors do not prescribe medications. If you are seeking psychiatric care please contact Smokey Mountain Center at 1-800-849-6127.

Q: Can Our VOICE provide me with a lawyer?
Our VOICE can connect you with legal services in the area, but we do not have staff attorneys. We can provide court advocacy and accompaniment as support, but in accordance with North Carolina law, we are not able to provide legal advice or speak on your behalf in court.

Q: Do you take donations?
Yes. You can make a financial donation via our website here.
Or you may donate items for our hospital bags. These items include: plain, logo and graphic free t-shirts and sweat or lounge-type pants, in a variety of sizes, (please wash them before donating) new, un-opened packages of men and women’s underwear and socks, chap stick, individual packages of tissues, and panty liners.

Q: Do you have internship opportunities?
We have a limited number of internship opportunities available. When these arise, they will be posted on our website and on our Facebook.

If you have any further questions please feel free to email us at If you need immediate assistance, please call our 24-hour crisis line at (828)255-7576.