The Bar Outreach Project
The Bar Outreach Project was launched in 2008, after Our VOICE staff noticed a rise in the number of reports of Drug Facilitated Sexual Assault (DFSA). The Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network defines DFSA as:
“when drugs or alcohol are used to compromise an individual’s ability to consent to sexual activity. In addition, drugs and alcohol are often used in order to minimize the resistance and memory of the victim of a sexual assault.”
The goals of The Bar Outreach Project are to:
- Promote an environment of safety in local bars and establishments selling alcohol
- Inform bar staff and patrons about DFSA, date rape drugs, and local statistics
- Create dialogue around alcohol impairment and sexual assault
- Create safe plans in the event someone is drugged or overly intoxicated and therefore more susceptible to sexual assault
- Promote bystander intervention from bar staff
In an effort to expand the reach of The Bar Outreach Project, Our VOICE has developed the curriculum into a kit that is for sale, and can be used to implement The Bar Outreach Project in any community.
Bar Outreach Project Testimonials:
“Our VOICE teaches us to use our own voices. We are more than happy to implement a program that educates and helps ensure the safety of our guests.” – Paige Scully Owner, Scully’s Bar & Grille
“Over the years in the bar business I have heard many tales of drugs being dropped into unsuspecting folk’s beverages, and have known a few victims. Our VOICE has been instrumental in bringing awareness to the problem, especially educating staff, who in turn, can make a real difference in educating customers.” – Chad Battles, Co-owner, The Bywater
“Until I went to the [Bar Staff] training, I had no idea that Drug Facilitated Sexual Assault was such a problem. That’s the first step to fixing the problem, being aware that it exists.” – Tim McGill, Manager, Asheville Pizza & Brewing Company
“The Bar Outreach Program has been a great tool in our kit to keep our patrons safe and comfortable.” – Lisa Gambrell, Owner, Desoto Lounge
The Bar Outreach Facilitator’s Manual includes:
- Step-by-step instructions on planning, implementing and evaluating Bar Staff Training
- Outlines for Bar Outreach volunteer training and Bar Staff Training.
- Supplemental materials including sample tear-off flyers (that can be edited to include your organization’s information), handouts for bar staff, report forms and evaluations and all other materials that we use for Bar Outreach and Bar Staff Training.
- 3 hours of technical assistance by phone
For questions please call us at (828) 252-0562
To purchase a Bar Outreach Project Facilitator’s Manual, use the Pay Pal link below. Pay Pal is safe and easy – you can use a Debit or Credit card through Pay Pal.