Of reported rapes in 2008 in North Carolina: State Bureau of Investigation. 2009. Rape Victims by Age and Race, 2008.
- 21.5% of the victims of sexual assault were under age 14.
- 61.7% were under the age of 30.
- 64.6 % of victims were white.
- 32.6% of victims were black.
1 out of every 6 American women has been the victim of an attempted or completed rape in her lifetime (14.8% completed rape; 2.8% attempted rape). National Institute of Justice & Centers for Disease Control & Prevention. Prevalence, Incidence and Consequences of Violence Against Women Survey. 1998.
1 in 8 American women will develop breast cancer in their lifetime.
60% of rapes/sexual assaults are not reported to the police, according to a statistical average of the past 5 years. U.S. Department of Justice.2005 National Crime Victimization Study. 2005.
Males are the least likely to report a sexual assault, though they make up about 10% of all victims. U.S. Department of Justice.2005 National Crime Victimization Study. 2005.
1 in 4 girls and 1 in 6 boys will be sexually abused before age 18. www.pcar.org
Female students who have been physically and/or sexually abused by a dating partner in the 9th through 12th grades are at increased risk for substance us, unhealthy weight control, risky sexual behavior, pregnancy and suicide Silverman, Jay, Anita Raj, Lorelei Mucci, and Jeanne Hathaway. “Dating Violence Against Adolescent Girls and Associated Substance Use, Unhealthy Weight Control, Sexual Risk Behavior, Pregnancy, and Suicidality.” Journal of the American Medical Association. 286(5):572-579, 2001
75% of date and acquaintance rapes involve alcohol or drug use by the assailant. Warshaw, R. I never called it rape: the Ms. report of recognizing, fighting, and surviving rape. New York: Harper & Row.
One study estimates that more than 90% of people with developmental disabilities will experience sexual abuse at some point in their lives. Valenti-Hein, D., Shwartz, L. 1995. Sexual Abuse Interview for those with Developmental Disabilities.
- One in 8 lesbian women experience sexual assault in a lifetime.
- One in 2 Bisexual women experience rape in lifetime.
- One in 2 Bisexual men experience sexual violence.
- One in 10 Gay men experience sexual violence.
- 64% of transgender people have experienced sexual assault in their lifetime.
Office for Victims of Crime & The CDC: The National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey 2010.
Victims of sexual assault are:
- 3 times more likely to suffer from depression
- 4 times more likely to contemplate suicide
- 6 times more likely to suffer from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- 13 times more likely to abuse alcohol
- 26 times more likely to abuse drugs World Health Organization. 2002
In the US, rape is the most costly crime to its victims totaling $127 billion a year considering factors such as medical costs, lost earnings, pain, suffering and lost quality of life. www.nccasa.org.